Idle Free Business Toolkit
Does your organization manage a fleet of vehicles? Do you receive deliveries at your facility? Looking for a simple way to reduce your organization’s environmental footprint and save some money?
Avoid unnecessary engine idling. Create an idle reduction policy today!
Here’s what an idling reduction policy can do:
Protect Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Prolonged exposure to vehicle exhaust can aggravate asthma and bronchitis.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Save on Fuel and Maintenance Expenses
- Restarting a gasoline vehicle uses less fuel than idling for 10 seconds.
- Fuel injected gasoline engines don’t need to be warmed, while modern diesel engines require no more than 3 minutes of warming.
- Idling causes twice the wear on internal parts compared to driving at highway speeds and can reduce the operating life of engine oil by 75 percent.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage for economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your organization’s “green” profile.
Set an Example
- Join these local businesses in supporting Idle Free Louisville.
KAIRE can provide free program support and materials, including:
- Idle Reduction Sample Policies and Letter Templates
- Idle Free Fact Sheet
To request fact sheets please contact us by email or by phone at (502) 574-6472.
- Click here to go to the Air Pollution Control District website