How You Can Help
Idle Free School Toolkit
Protect Student and Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your school’s “green” profile.
Please contact Air Pollution Control District (APCD) by email or by phone at (502) 574-6472 for more information.